HEALTH Ministry director general Tan Sri Dr Noor Hisham Abdullah urged those planning to visit Langkawi Island, under the tourism bubble pilot project, to adhere to COVID-19 standard operating procedure (SOP) strictly.
“While I understand the need to balance between public safety and economic recovery, everyone should play their part to ensure there is no outbreak happening in the island.
“We need everyone’s cooperation here,” he said, in a Facebook post.
Last week, Tourism, Arts and Culture Minister Datuk Seri Nancy Shukri announced that domestic tourists will be allowed to visit Langkawi, subject to certain SOP guideline.
This includes tourists from states which are still under Phase One of the National Recovery Plan (NRP).
On Sept 6, Malaysia Association Tour Agency (MATA) welcomed the decision and urged all tourism players in the island to adhere to Government regulations strictly.
“If the project succeeds, we hope the Government would consider reopening other tourism destinations such Redang, Kapas, Tioman, Pangkor and many more as soon as possible,” its president Datuk Mohd Khalid Harun told FocusM.
On that note, Noor Hisham said that the Kedah state health department was increasing capacity at the Sultanah Maliha Hospital (HSM) in Langkawi.
He added that this was measure was done as a preparation, in case there is a spike in COVID-19 cases in the island.
“By setting up the Langkawi Covid-19 Low-risk Treatment and Quarantine Centre at the Langkawi International Shooting Range Malaysia (i-PKRC Lisram) in Aug 4, about 60 additional beds have been provided to treat Category 1, 2, and 3 low-risk patients.
“As for the ICU, eight additional beds were added, putting the total at 13 beds. Of that, nine are reserved for COVID-19 cases,” he concluded.
By : G Vinod – FOCUS MALAYSIA