Cops tell why MPs barred from entering Parliament

KUALA LUMPUR : Roadblocks and detours were set up at all roads leading to Parliament this morning after police were informed that certain parties were planning to assemble outside the legislative assembly.

In a press conference, Kuala Lumpur police chief Azmi Abu Kassim explained that this assembly that was planned did not involve MPs but was titled “Solidarity with Anwar Ibrahim”.

“When we checked with Parliament, we were informed that there were no proceedings today, so we set up roadblocks and detours, not allowing vehicles or individuals to enter Parliament,” he said.

He added that MPs would have been allowed to enter the Parliament building under normal circumstances, saying: “As far as I know, they can enter.”

“Our actions today were to protect the safety of the community, even the safety of MPs. That’s why we made the decision to close some roads in KL and set up detours.”

However, Azmi said they have initiated investigations into the gathering of opposition MPs at Dataran Merdeka and their attempted march to Parliament today, after two police reports over the matter had been lodged.

Investigations are being conducted under Section 9 of the Peaceful Assembly Act (Act 736), Section 269 of the Penal Code and the Prevention and Control of Infectious Diseases Act (Act 342).

Section 9 of Act 736 involves notifying the district police chief of an assembly, while Section 269 of the Penal Code involves the offence of committing a negligent act likely to spread infection of any disease dangerous to life.

The MPs being stopped by police who had blocked off all roads leading to Parliament. The MPs who took part in the march are now under investigation. (Bernama pic)

Earlier today, opposition MPs had gathered at Dataran Merdeka to begin their march to Parliament to protest against Prime Minister Muhyiddin Yassin and his Cabinet and calling for their resignation.

Former prime minister Dr Mahathir Mohamad, opposition leader Anwar Ibrahim, DAP secretary-general Lim Guan Eng, Amanah president Mat Sabu and many others were some of the marchers.

However, their attempts to march from Dataran Merdeka to Parliament were short-lived, as Federal Reserve Unit (FRU) personnel with riot shields blocked them from going further.

Meanwhile, Azmi said police had opened an investigation paper on the #lawan rally held on Saturday.

“Investigations are conducted under Section 9(5) of the Peaceful Assembly Act 2012, Section 21(A) of the Prevention and Control of Infectious Disease Act, and Rules 9 and 10 of the Prevention and Control of Infectious Diseases Regulations,” he said.

He said police were also tracking down 47 individuals who took part in the rally based on video footage and photos showing their faces, but their identities have yet to be identified.

Azmi called on the public to provide any information on the individuals to assist in the investigations.

Those with information can contact investigating officer Mohamad Hermi Abu Bakar at 014-909-9144 or IPD Dang Wangi at 03-2600-2222 or the Kuala Lumpur police hotline at 03-2146-0584/585 or any police station.

Hundreds of protesters made up of students and youth activists descended on the capital two days ago calling for the resignation of Muhyiddin and the Cabinet.

They also demanded full parliamentary proceedings to be convened and an automatic loan moratorium for all.

Gathering outside Masjid Jamek and carrying banners and placards which read “Kerajaan Gagal” (Failed Government), they were stopped by police from entering Dataran Merdeka.

By : Samuel Chua – FMT

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s