Ex-PM says it’s important for public’s views to reach Agong, if not govt might do something to anger people more.
Three top opposition figures today have requested an audience with the Yang di-Pertuan Agong to convey alleged negative sentiments from the public over the proclamation of emergency.
The trio – Langkawi MP Dr Mahathir Mohamad, Kota Raja MP Mohamad Sabu and Shah Alam MP Khalid Abdul Samad – submitted their petition to Istana Negara at approximately 3.10pm.
The petition was submitted on behalf of the ad hoc Committee to End Emergency, which comprises opposition MPs from Parti Pejuang Tanah Air (Pejuang), Amanah, Warisan, DAP, PKR, and the Malaysian United Democratic Alliance (Muda).
Speaking to reporters prior to entering the palace, Mahathir said public sentiment against the emergency was very bad and it damages the sovereign’s reputation.
The former premier said the way the emergency was declared made it look as though it was done at the Agong’s behest and hence any criticisms of the move was being treated by some as an act of treason.
“It is important that the views of the public reach the Agong. If not, (the government) might do something to anger the people further.
“It is quite clear that a large number of Malays are now angry because they are suffering due to the emergency,” Mahathir added.
The committee had previously submitted a petition to the Agong on March 26. According to Khalid, the group’s chairperson, there has been no response from the palace so far.
“We are confident the Agong will agree (this time) to grant us an audience because we are the people’s representatives,” he said.
The trio was accompanied by Jerlun MP Mukhriz Mahathir, senator Marzuki Yahya, Kubang Pasu MP Amiruddin Hamzah, activist Khairuddin Abu Hassan, PKR vice-president Tian Chua, Petaling Jaya MP Maria Chin Abdullah, Bayan Baru MP Sim Tze Tzin, Lembah Pantai MP Fahmi Fadzil, Segambut MP Hannah Yeoh, Kepong MP Lim Lip Eng and Seputeh MP Teresa Kok.
By : M FAKHRULL HALIM – MALAYSIAKINI