The Australian Government has been criticised for allowing Rita Ora to enter the country while nearly 40,000 Australians remain stranded overseas.
The pop star will join Keith Urban, Jessica Mauboy and Guy Sebastian on the celebrity panel of judges for The Voice Australia.
But Ora’s arrival in Australia drew criticism as some questioned why the 30-year-old star was allowed to join the show as a musical coach after breaking coronavirus restrictions in the UK with a birthday party in west London.
Labour politician and opposition home affairs spokeswoman, Kristina Keneally, said Ora should not have been allowed to quarantine in a hotel when many Australians were still waiting to return home.
She told the Guardian: “It’s another example of Scott Morrison leaving Australians behind.
“There are still 40,000 Australians stranded overseas. Every celebrity who takes up a place in quarantine is a place denied to a stranded Australian.”
As Ora reportedly travelled with an entourage, she did not arrange to isolate in a private residence as some other celebrities are reported to have done, which means her quarantine will count towards Australia’s cap on international arrivals.
Last month the Australian National Cabinet agreed to halve the number of international arrivals allowed into New South Wales, Queensland and Australia to “manage the flow of returning Australians and other travellers who have been exposed to the new variants” of coronavirus.
The cap on arrivals is due to be reviewed on February 15.
Ora has previously apologised for her “spur of the moment” decision to throw a birthday part at Casa Cruz on November 20 last year.
Guests at the birthday bash included models Cara and Poppy Delevingne, Ora’s sister Elena and Towie star Vas Morgan.
A worker at the restaurant told police Ora’s reps offered the restaurant £5,000 to open Casa Cruz for her birthday.
Apologising at the time, Ora said: “I feel particularly embarrassed knowing first-hand how hard people have worked to combat this terrible illness and being fully aware of the sacrifices that people and businesses have made to help keep us all safe.
“Even though this won’t make it right, I want to sincerely apologise.”
The Standard has contacted a representative of Rita Ora for comment.
By : April Roach – EVENING STANDARD