KUALA LUMPUR (Jan 12): The declaration of state of emergency by the King earlier this morning does not entail a military coup and the civilian government is still in place, according to Prime Minister Tan Sri Muhyiddin Yassin.
In a nationally televised address this morning, Muhyiddin assured that there will be no curfew imposed under the emergency.
Muhyiddin explained that under the emergency:
- Parliament and State Legislative Assemblies will not convene
- no general elections and by-elections will be held
- an independent advisory council will be set up to advise the Agong
- judiciary will continue to operate
- Malaysia is still open for business.
More to follow
By : Emir Zainul – THE EDGE MARKETS