Malaysian villagers escape floods on excavator as 28,000 evacuated

Residents ride a digger through floodwaters following heavy monsoon downpours in Lanchang in Malaysia’s Pahang state. (Photo: AFP/Mohd RASFAN)

KAMPUNG SEMENTEH: Malaysian villagers were evacuated in an excavator while others swam through deep waters on Wednesday (Jan 6) as the number forced from their homes by floods rose to more than 28,000 with at least four dead.

Flooding hits the country’s east coast during the rainy season annually and regularly results in mass evacuations, but people in some areas say this year’s are the worst in decades.

The worst-hit state is Pahang, where more than 21,000 have been evacuated in recent days, with almost 4,000 forced from their homes in Johor and thousands more in other states, according to the social welfare department.

Residents ride a digger vehicle through floodwaters following heavy monsoon downpour in Lanchang, Malaysia’s Pahang state on Jan 6, 2021. (Photo: Mohd RASFAN / AFP)

Four deaths have so far been reported in Pahang and Johor.

On Wednesday, a group of villagers was evacuated from the small settlement of Kampung Sementeh in Pahang, which has been cut off by the floods, in an excavator, an AFP journalist at the scene said.

A pregnant woman and a sick elderly lady were among a handful of residents sitting in the raised shovel of the machine as it drove along a flooded road, while others hung off the cab.

Residents ride a digger vehicle to cross floodwaters following heavy monsoon downpour in Sementeh near Lanchang, Malaysia’s Pahang state on January 6, 2021. (Photo: Mohd RASFAN / AFP)

Residents of another cut-off village swam through floodwaters about 1.8m deep as they sought to obtain supplies of fresh water and food.

“It has been raining for three days, food is running low, some shops are closed,” factory worker Juzaili Mat Zain, 44, who helped organise the excavator evacuation from Kampung Sementeh, told AFP.

“There are no government boats or heavy trucks to help.”

Residents ride a boat through floodwaters in Lanchang in Malaysia’s Pahang state on Jan 6, 2021. (Photo: Mohd RASFAN / AFP)

Electricity had been cut off in the village and some houses were inundated, he added.

Resident Ahmad Saad Mohamad, 48, said it was the area’s worst floods for four decades.

“We are disappointed and angry,” he told AFP. “It has been three days and there has been no government aid.”

This year’s floods come against the backdrop of a worsening coronavirus outbreak, with some fearful they could be exposed to COVID-19 in crowded relief centres.

The government insists it has taken steps to prevent the virus from spreading, including ordering officials to screen evacuated villagers.

Source: AFP/ga/CNA

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s