No mass gatherings allowed at New Year eve celebrations nationwide

KUALA LUMPUR : Huge gatherings at New Year eve celebrations to usher in 2021 are not allowed, said Senior Minister (Security Cluster) Datuk Seri Ismail Sabri Yaakob today.

He said the risk of Covid-19 spreading was possible if the annual celebration, which is usually celebrated on a large scale, was permitted around the country.

“However, there are various ways to celebrate, such as privately, with families at home and so on but mass gatherings are not allowed this time.

No mass gatherings allowed at New Year eve celebrations nationwide — Ismail Sabri


“This is because it will be hard for people to practise physical distancing and it would be difficult to control the crowd,” he said at a press conference on the development of the Movement Control Order (MCO) here.

In another development, Ismail Sabri said so far, there is no proposal to re-impose interstate and inter-district travel restrictions as was implemented before.

He said the decision on the matter depended on the views and advice from the Health Ministry as it would only be implemented when recommended by the ministry.

“We have not discussed it in detail yet. We will get the views of the Health Ministry and make a decision after that.

“So far, it remains as announced that interstate and inter-district travel is still allowed,” he said.

Earlier, the government decided to allow interstate and inter-district travel throughout the country without police permission from Dec 7, except in areas under the Enhanced Movement Control Order (EMCO).

BERNAMA

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s